Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Pepe's Egg Curry

Pepe's egg curry is one of my favorite Indian dishes (second only to a good tandoori chicken); I liked it even more once I learned that it was also my grandfather's favorite. The first time I made it, I thought I was doing it wrong. At each step of the way, the coarse ingredients and concoctions before me looked nothing like the rich, savory final product. Then, in one of my most memorable culinary moments, as if by alchemy, I had egg curry almost as good as my mother's. It's a versatile curry, too. I once substituted extra firm tofu for the eggs and ended up with an excellent vegan dish. Mom says it's also a great way to cook mussels. My sister and I have discussed expanding that idea into a seafood stew, which we may try over Christmas. I'll keep you posted on the results.

So, make it already! Gather the ingredients:
  • 6 hard boiled eggs
  • 2 large white onions
  • 4 tbsp unsweetened, grated coconut
  • 1 tbsp crushed garlic
  • 1 tbsp crushed ginger
  • 1 tbsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 4 cloves
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Make absolutely sure you get unsweetened coconut! You can find garam masala and tamarind paste at any Indian grocery. While you're there, get some red chili powder (which may be labeled "lal mirch powder")--the crap called chili powder at most supermarkets is worthless.

Start off by making the paste that forms the basis of the curry. Cut the onions into large pieces and brown them on medium heat in a skillet. Toast the coconut and blend it and the onions into a thick, smooth paste, adding a little water as necessary. If you haven't eaten this before, at this point you still have no clue what's forthcoming. If you have, your mouth should begin to water.

Next, get a large pot. I have to remind myself to stay calm here, since there's still a lot to do before the pot fulfills its destiny. Heat the oil in the pot. Add the cloves and cinnamon. When the cloves bulge, add the coconut/onion paste, ginger and garlic, and stir until the oil separates. Add the garam masala, salt, tamarind, turmeric. Also add some of that lal mirch powder if you like. Take a good whiff--oh, yeah, that's the stuff! Add 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil.

Since watching the pot will keep the water from boiling, turn your attention to the eggs. With a little help from you, the eggs and the curry will develop a nice little symbiotic relationship. Quarter one of the eggs and make several slashes in each of the others. The quartered egg flavors the curry, and the slashes help the other eggs absorb all the goodness. Neat, huh?

I assume you've been tasting everything as you've gone along, because, well, what kind of cook would you be if you didn't? But, if you haven't, sample what's brewing on your stove right now. As Jamie Oliver would say, bloomin' gorgeous!

Finally, once the water's boiling, add the eggs, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. You can tuck in immediately, if you like, but the eggs taste better once they've had time to mingle with the curry for a few hours. I recommend saving an egg or two for tomorrow--it's like lookin' at a thing in a bag.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home